Considering Freespace

Hey guys

i know i know, im like 10 years late :P. but recently ive been playing freelancer and the X3 series and ive just absolutely fallen inlove with space games. especially openworld games with 3D maps and open movement. with mods X3 can be turned into a living world were npc's live and think for themselves and even decide there own battles

So im curious whats out there thats similiar to that - graphics arent the most important thing, gameplay is

Ive watched quite a phew videos of freespace and it looks pretty cool so i have to ask a phew things

- Is there third person views, ive yet to see videos out of the cockpit. and now, i understand this is a piloting view that people love. but its just not for me, i need to see my ship, or battleship, or capital as im flying and fighting. another thing i loved about X3 was the auto attack system

- There is alot of mods out there, if i did buy the game, id need advice on what mods would suit me.

- Should i get freespace 2 or both if i was to get one of them

- Can you fly capitals - important to me. i love big ships and guns

Basically im most interested in single player because sometimes i play these games on my laptop when im away. but i dont mind multiplayer for my home pc either, the only thing that i couldnt stand about freelancer online. was most servers had strict "RP" Rules, were you had to get permission and rp roles for certain ships. i like freedom, to choose my own path, ship, and way of life in space

Re: Considering Freespace

- Is there third person views, ive yet to see videos out of the cockpit. and now, i understand this is a piloting view that people love. but its just not for me, i need to see my ship, or battleship, or capital as im flying and fighting. another thing i loved about X3 was the auto attack system
Yes, you can toggle third-person view; however it's easier to aim in cockpit view, which is why that's used most in FS.
- There is alot of mods out there, if i did buy the game, id need advice on what mods would suit me.
This thread should get you started; and you can always look around on the FreeSpace Wiki to read mod descriptions and see if you like 'em.
- Should i get freespace 2 or both if i was to get one of them
If you're getting just one of them, pick FS2. There's a fan-made port of FS1 to FS2 (conveniently called the FreeSpace Port), so you'll still be able to play FS1 as well. If you get only FS1, you're stuck with it and won't be able to play FS2 or any of the mods.
- Can you fly capitals - important to me. i love big ships and guns
There's been a few experiments in that direction, but in general you can't. FS just wasn't designed for that.
Basically im most interested in single player because sometimes i play these games on my laptop when im away. but i dont mind multiplayer for my home pc either, the only thing that i couldnt stand about freelancer online. was most servers had strict "RP" Rules, were you had to get permission and rp roles for certain ships. i like freedom, to choose my own path, ship, and way of life in space
Hm, FS is very different from FreeLancer in that respect. You are a pilot in a fleet, and you fly the missions that Command assigns you to. While you cannot really choose your own path, it does make for much better storytelling this way; the story was - IMHO - one of the strong points of the original FS games, and it has been taken to new levels by mods like Blue Planet and Vassago's Dirge.

So yeah, FS may not exactly seem your cup of tea - but for a mere $6, I do think it's worth a shot.
Ancient-Shivan War | Hard-Light forums | FreeSpaceMods.net

It's worth emphasising what FSF said - Freespace is strictly linear and, IMO, can be played as a straight up arcade shooter* almost like an FPS. If you're looking for an equivalent to the X series, or (going back) the likes of Privateer or Elite (in terms of open gameplay), FS is not your game. It focuses on one thing - dogfighting in space against small and large ships alike - and does it extremely well.

*albeit, with two caveats. One, that there is nothing wrong with this - I mean that it's very accessible and you can get a great deal of fun out of it within literally minutes of starting the game. Two, that there is added complexity (albeit not on, say, a flight sim level or that of X), but you don't strictly need it to enjoy the game.

It is action packed, but also has a fairly indepth storyline, tech entries and a database, and lots of campaigns and addons available, not to mention the SCP and graphical enhancements. Big campaigns that will be released, like Inferno and more Blue Planet also has loads of new ships and entries. It is interesting, and that is besides the action and storylines. WoD is a massive project on its own with a lot of new stuff. It really boosts replay value and fun factor more than any repetative console game in which what you buy is all you get. I would say you should get FS2, download FSO, and you won't regret it.