Need Help!

I used to own Freespace 2 and loved the sim, but over the years and a lot of moving around I lost the original installation disks. So I download a bunch of files thru a couple of places including Usenet, MediaFeed and BitTorrent but have been unable to get any of them installed properly! If someone could tell me the best set of files to download from any of these and then how to best install them so I can apply patches and then the FSopen mod I would greatly appreaciate it! Thanx in advance!

Re: Need Help!

Let's see, first you need to create a folder named 'freespace' or 'freespace 2' under a folder named 'games'. The following are the files you need if not using retail, and you will also need the FSO launcher: root_fs2.vp, smarty_fs2.vp, sparky_fs2.vp, sparky_hi_fs2.vp, stu_fs2.vp, tango1_fs2.vp, tango2_fs2.vp, tango3_fs2.vp, warble_fs2.vp. If playing retail, you need all those vps and also FreeSpace2.exe, and maybe FS2.exe (not sure) and UpdateLauncher.exe (not sure). Put them all in the Freespace 2 folder that you create. I don't know what those websites offer or if they offer all the files I just mentioned since I never needed to download FS2, at least not yet, since I still have the disks.

I finally found a good install package from Gamestop downloads for $19.95. None of the ISO or rar files I downloaded for free worked. The install went well but I didn't apply any of the retail patches thinking there might be ones made special for the downloadable version. But according to the GameStop tech people the retail patches can be applied. Unfortunately I applied the FSofull install first so I don't know if I can apply patches after that? Here's what it said on the FSO site with a list of files. Are these the ones you are speaking of?

FreeSpace Open 3.6.10 Final (regular and debug)
FRED2 Open 3.6.10 Final (regular and debug)
Launcher 5.5e
launcher6.ini

FreeSpace Open 3.6.10 Final for Linux

FreeSpace Open 3.6.10 Final for Mac

3.6.10 Final MediaVPs (optional)
3.6.10 Advanced MediaVP Effects (optional; only for those with high-power systems; requires regular MediaVPs)

The .OGG Cutscenes

Derelict SCP Version

FreeSpace Port
FreeSpace 1 .OGG Cutscenes
Awakenings
Cardinal Spear
Destiny of Peace
Silent Threat: Reborn

Homesick

Transcend
Sync

Blue Planet
Blackwater Operations Demo
Deus Ex Machina
Just Another Day 1, 2, & 3 (separate options for each)
The Procyon Insurgency
Shrouding the Light
Twilight
Warzone

REQUIREMENTS AND NOTES
The Installer requires an internet connection to install. This is because:
1. It checks to see if it is out of date by pulling the number of the most recent version off of the web.
2. It automatically takes you to the download page of the most recent version if your version is out of date.
3. It downloads ALL the files, so that they are up-to-date.

Also I'm not sure if the regular MediaVP's were installed first as required for high power systems or not? And there's no contact info so I have no way to find out!
BTW...What should I look for within the folders under Freespace 3 to insure the package was installed correctly?

I was just listing the basic stuff you needed to get it to work (the retail vp files). If you are using FSO, You need all the retail vp files and the FSO launcher, but I use the 5.5g launcher. I forgot that you also need the FSO root vp for FSO to work. I only mentioned the minimum files required. Here are the files and instructions you will need to get all the goodies and other files for you to take full advantage of FSO, and also be sure to use 3.6.12:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index. ... ic=70736.0

Be sure to also download the update files listed below 3 of the vp files in the first post. Read carefully. Also, download the .ogg cutscenes from the 3rd post. Place them in mediavps_3612/data/movies. They look the same as the originals with the same quality, but the originals won't work with FSO. Someone is remaking them to look better as we speak. If you want to disable the cutscenes, you can select the 'disable video playback' option in the launcher under troubleshoot. It can get annoying when the intro cutscene tries to play everytime you boot FS2 and you always have to hit Esc.

Also, I would recommend using a bleeding edge nightly build instead of the 3.6.12 exe here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=173.0

They have bug fixes, better lighting + effects, and perhaps faster performance.

Also if you want to have the new Sathanas model, Medusa, Boe, Artemis, etc, that have been individually released, you can go to each of the new models' threads under the FSU subforum (same subforum that has the 3.6.12 release topic) and download each new model one at a time and follow the instructions, or you can wait until 3.6.14 to use these new models since they will be 100% finalized by then. Those new models were released after 3.6.12 and some, if not all, are considered betas. There is also a .pof patch for the Seraphim to make it HTL and a partial upgrade to the Knossos. You just have to find their threads. Put the pof files in the models subfolder under mediavps_3612/data, the tbm or tbl files under tables, and the dds or tga files under maps. I'm looking at my folders right now to refresh some of my memory, like remembering the presence of the .dds file ext. Also, a sound patch, primary weapons models pack, and hi-res cbanis/tech anis pack has been released.

On a side note...Seems the new Manticore doesn't have any debris. After noticing this during gameplay about a month ago, I confirmed this in the ships lab. So I reverted back to the current Manticore until that gets fixed.

I finally found a good install package from Gamestop downloads for $19.95. None of the ISO or rar files I downloaded for free worked. The install went well but I didn't apply any of the retail patches thinking there might be ones made special for the downloadable version. But according to the GameStop tech people the retail patches can be applied. Unfortunately I applied the FSofull install first so I don't know if I can apply patches after that? Here's what it said on the FSO site with a list of files. Are these the ones you are speaking of?

FreeSpace Open 3.6.10 Final (regular and debug)
FRED2 Open 3.6.10 Final (regular and debug)
Launcher 5.5e
launcher6.ini

FreeSpace Open 3.6.10 Final for Linux

FreeSpace Open 3.6.10 Final for Mac

3.6.10 Final MediaVPs (optional)
3.6.10 Advanced MediaVP Effects (optional; only for those with high-power systems; requires regular MediaVPs)

The .OGG Cutscenes

Derelict SCP Version

FreeSpace Port
FreeSpace 1 .OGG Cutscenes
Awakenings
Cardinal Spear
Destiny of Peace
Silent Threat: Reborn

Homesick

Transcend
Sync

Blue Planet
Blackwater Operations Demo
Deus Ex Machina
Just Another Day 1, 2, & 3 (separate options for each)
The Procyon Insurgency
Shrouding the Light
Twilight
Warzone

REQUIREMENTS AND NOTES
The Installer requires an internet connection to install. This is because:
1. It checks to see if it is out of date by pulling the number of the most recent version off of the web.
2. It automatically takes you to the download page of the most recent version if your version is out of date.
3. It downloads ALL the files, so that they are up-to-date.

Also I'm not sure if the regular MediaVP's were installed first as required for high power systems or not? And there's no contact info so I have no way to find out!
BTW...What should I look for within the folders under Freespace 3 to insure the package was installed correctly?
Eeep, you should ask for your money back. GoG.com have Freespace 2 for far cheaper - http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/freespace_2

Sorry it took me until now to say thanx for all your help. My bathroom drains...all of then...were overflowing with backed-up sewage and I couldn't even sleep in my apt until the plumbers did their thing and I found someone to do the cleanup! I'm getting too old and lazy for that s###...no pun intended! As for as GOG is concerned, they may indeed have a good product, but they're outside the USA and wouldn't take my credit card. This is why our country spends billions trying to help the rest of the world. So foreign companies can turn us down for a lousy 5.95!
BTW, any of you guys have an on-line league or clan for FSO?

Off topic since you brought it up:

Most countries help each other out in this world these days; it isn't just one way. It's globalization. I live in USA too, but I see through the propaganda and blind patriotism and I see many flaws here. One of many is 'arrogance' and thinking it can do whatever it wants in the world. There are ups and downs pretty much anywhere though. Also, even if USA does help, they have also caused the most damage in the last 100 years with all those bombs, agent orange, apparent enjoyment with participating in all major wars, even making the first move most of the time like in the cases of Korea and VN decades ago, also going overboard, just as it has been doing with this 10 year current war, etc. Probably more harm than help in many cases. This also hurts the economy. All these wars is probably one major reason why the economy has slowly been getting worse since the 50's and the sheer wastefulness of this society. Also, irresponsibility with money and countless people going into debt because they wasted it on expensive stuff that isn't necessary to have and could have at least waited until they could afford it if they are going to buy something like that.

Also the attitude of not wanting to spend a few extra dollars of tax money every year to fix up schools and expand public transportation and improve this cumbling infrastructure, but would rather waste it on expensive houses and cars, cigarettes and expensive bottles alcohol (just buy a $4 bottle of wine instead), and eating fast food almost everyday instead of once a week. What a waste or money and health, especially doing it often like many do. Also health care goes up for everyone when people don't try to take care of their health because it causes the need for more doctors and for them to work overtime. So that money has to come from you, I believe. Also 'excessive' materialism and greed eventually weakens and destroys a society. Same thing with arrogance and wastefulness. That isn't sustainable (the American way of life). Look at Rome. Everyone knows that no society stays top dog forever anyways. So to think America will is delusional. Nothing lasts forever. Of course inflation is another problem. I don't know who to blame for that. Government? Greedy companies and corporations that can bend the rules and get away with a lot? Let's not forget that way too much taxes goes to military. So most people don't complain about that but they complain when it goes to schools, social security, services and infrastructure? Sounds backwards. I also hear that America sells weapons to certain other countries or groups, probably ones that are known to not like America. Really? Yet another bad choice.

Plus when this country does help certain others, there are usually strings attached, no doubt. Probably hidden agendas. Maybe the motive is to get oil and other resources and also to create many Americas instead of allowing other countries to have their own policies and cultures because America tends to also be paranoid. America likes to play the blame game on other countries, just like an article I read said. I agree. It's mostly the bad choices of this country that causes things to become messed up, whether it be bad choices from the government, corporations, or the average joe. Also, the lack of self discipline as a society and all the fighting is another problem. Less 'thinking' and too much emotion a well. Same with all these politicians battling each other, especially recently. Always interrupting each other too.

The first step to fixing a problem in this case is to take the blame and not always blame other countries. Why is it always every other countries' fault? With great power comes great responsibility. So I could say that the more powerful the nation, the more responsibility it should have when it comes to self improvement and internal affairs. That doesn't mean getting involved in all these wars everytime, going overboard, making the first hostile move, or policing the world. I'm talking mostly about internal responsibility.

Internally is where most of the problems lie, but people also like to blame illegals too, and McCain demonstrated his racism by blaming Texas wild fires on illegals recently. If people are worried about it, then build a great wall of Mexico. This country could afford it if this country, government, and the average joe was smarter with their money and resources and changed their mentality and the system :razz: I'm not saying I take Obama's side either.

People also blame presidents too much when congress has the real power. The people do too since it is a democracy. A president doesn't have real power compared to a king of dictator. So he isn't the most powerful man on earth. So is it fair to always blame a president? He almost always has to have congress' approval to do anything. So powerful; well, not really.

I probably should have took that to pm, but I didn't. Next time I will. :)

I can't count how many times I've had failed transactions because a US based company wouldn't accept my card and/or accept my ID.
The Expanse. Watch it!

BTW, any of you guys have an on-line league or clan for FSO?
Basically the HLP forum, and from what I read, there is a very active channel called IRC.

FFOman, what sort of card were you trying to use on GOG? I have a basic Visa debit card tied to my checking account, and GOG accepts it just fine. I don't think I've heard of many instances of people in the US having issues with payment there.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

WoW! I sure didn't expect that my one line of sarcasam about UK's GOG not taking my card would illicent such a response! I have a Visa as well and never had any problems with foreign companies in the past, but after being turned down by them as well as at least 10 more other outlets whose charges pass through GOG's banking accounts...( charging exactly the same and using a GOG interface customized to make them appear to be different buisnesses )...I began to figure my time was worth more than the $14 differance I finally paid. The problem is really one of miss-trust by american banks caused by GOG's use of this kind of business model. A model that long ago was dropped by most internet companies here that realized it wasn't worth the lowered credit rateings it returned to them. There are still many out there who do indeed still work this way, but I won't do business with them either because I consider them to be in that group of sales and advertising schemes that do their best to take advantage of their customers. These are the same types who send out lotto-like ads that promise you a choice between a new car or $25,000 in cash if you uncover three out of five symbols that show the same pictures. In the fine print however, if you're able to read it...( 20/20 vision being an absolute necessity )...the wording explains that winning only puts you into the next level where you can be on the list of possible winners IF you take advantage of a service or other costly offer! I brought this example up because just yesterday a local chevy dealer here sent out such an add to everyone in the county. All were winners of course and more then one of the tenants here were running around all excited and planning their next bus trip to Atlantic City where they would be enticed to lose all their social security money! Most were seniors who couldn't read the fine print and wouldn't understand it even if they could!
Now in response to 'SG Fanatic", I didn't check your profile so don't know your age, but it's very obvious that you're a concerned person who is able to see the many problems we and so many other countries are having, but does not have the historical knowledge needed to grok how such problems began, why they're not being solved, nor what the individual can do to promote their solution. This puts you in great company with most americans! However I doubt the moderators here would allow such a conversation to continue under this particular forum and topic, so I'm not going to try and explain my opinions on this subject here and now. Instead, let me tell you quickly what I'm doing and how you can if you like, get involved.
I'm an old hippie of 56 who besides enjoying games like Freespace, Battlefield, and Dirt 3, and the company of other gamesters of all ages, is also a freelance programmer, photographic artist, and writer. Recently I was forced to take a break from my many roles to deal with some family problems, but now that I'm back where I want and need to be, I'm building a new site where all these and other considerations will be defined and addressed.
One of the ways I'll be doing so is via the restart of a Blog and forum on the state of our connected world and how we can still keep it turning despite how bad things have gotten. Once my infrastructure is up and running again, I promise to address your concerns as well as many others, and I will be looking to those who like yourself, aren't afraid to say what they think. I also won't forget to let everyone know when this happens. In the meantime, and having found the questions and responses here more than interesting, I'm going to be hanging about and hope we can get a little multiplayer time in once I've re-installed Freespace yet again. <g> And I welcome all comments, questions, and of course answers, on any topic allowed in these forums as well as those not allowed, both here and by direct e-mail at '[email protected]' or '[email protected]'.