Need help on new ship designs

Hi everyone, been a fan of the descent freespace games for years. Just downloaded SCP for freespace2 and downloaded a few user submitted ship designs to insert in my game. some of them were the Warlock destroyer and archangel dreadnaught models. Once i get them inserted, and did a test run on them to see how they do against a standard demon shivan class destroyer and its beam cannon, the Archangel and warlock models would shift or move when hit by a beam cannon. Once the archangel and warlock models got destroyed, they would spin outrageously out of control until the debris field cleared. Anyone help me on this?

Thanks,

Ryan

That's an odd error - it sounds like mass or moment of inertia problems, but those are old, well established models - bugs in those areas would have been fixed by now I would have thought.

Erm, some basic stuff then - what build and OS are you using, did you get the latest versions of those mods (from freespacemods I suppose?) etc.
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

I am using Vista basic and i am using 3.6.10 i think. It only occurs with the GTDn Archangel Dreadnaught class and the GTD Warlock class made by other users. I tested them and they work fine up until i tried the "endurance test" against a shivan demon class. I tried messing with the inhertia metrics and that did nothing. I have all the programs i could get my hands on...VP editor, POF view/editor and so on. and none of the programs are helping me with this shifting spinning error/bug i am getting when these models are being hit by beam cannons. I even went to go see if a shivan cruiser and its light beam cannons would make them move and they did. Other user made ship models that i got didnt do this...just the archangel and warlock.

I got the models from here actually. :( I downloaded other versions of the warlock and archangel but didnt had time to insert them yet. I just wanted to know if there is just something specific incase i start building my own ships.

Thanks for the help btw.

EDIT: I inserted a newer version of the archangel and it stopped spinning around on destruction. The warlock however, is still experiencing this problem :(

which one is the warlock again ?
I made a rather ugly supercarrier called the Warlock quite a few years ago (like, err, 7?). I'd guess it may be that one - people liked it for some reason.

Anyways, the problem is due to bad Moment of Inertia settings/values in the pof file. MOI, from my understanding, defines the ship movement physics with regards to impacts, 'pushes' (i.e. from beams firing), etc and of course the general movement. It uses something called a tensor, which I know precisely nothing about.

Based on the last time I visited HLP or anywhere else, no-one has actually figured out how to properly work out the MOI values - the best solution is to try and copy those of something similar and script missions to avoid too much 'thinking' on the games part when it comes to moving it. Back when I did the Warlock I/we didn't even know that much, and just added in a stupidly high mass value and crossed fingers.

Warlock could also be a model by Trashman (I think he nicked a few names I used in the past). In which case it's probably the same MOI problem. In any case, it's probably unsolvable. Check for updates, hope some improvement has been made and shoved in a patch.

Wish I could be more help than that :)

The Warlock in INFR1 doesn't spin like that, so someone must have fixed it at some point.

PCS2 can now generate MOI values, so just click the button, then resave. (It claims it's not very good at it, but it'd probably be better than copy and pasting from a similar ship or just spamming random values :P)
Believes in 3DPD. Loli is not a crime. A cat is fine too.
War of the Squids | Not Tom Clancy's | Ice Cream | Bosch Beer

which one is the warlock again ?
I made a rather ugly supercarrier called the Warlock quite a few years ago (like, err, 7?). I'd guess it may be that one - people liked it for some reason.
Yeah I know. I was hoping someone put up a picture. It amuses me that you have such disdain for your earlier efforts and don't like seing them again haha ha sorry etc :lol: