Shadows Of Lylat's New Engine System

Reviewing the latest media releases from Shadows of Lylat, I happened to find that the team is employing some advanced form of thruster effect system. In other words, they have somehow moved from the ordinary bitmap style ordinary modders are stuck to and are somehow rendering some really-high quality particle effect thrusters. Can anyone explain how this is possible? I thought this tech will still being developed.

It's just pretty graphics applied to all the usual roles actually as far as I'm able to tell. No thruster particles. (incidentally we tried those for the MVPs, and while they look great the performance hit is staggering, and they're only visible when you're within like 200m of them. :( )
Twisted Infinities

You have to admit, the way the SOL Team has graphically created and tabled their engines is astonishing. I wish I could learn a trick or two from em. But right now, I'm stuck with solving clipping =P

From a distance and in the test vid they have, it striked me like they had some sort of particle thing going. Any ideas how they have got their engines like this?