I don't think it's even possible to do such a thing within the constraints of the game engine. (maybe to do a really incomplete half-arsed version with a fraction of the features, perhaps)

I don't think it's even possible to do such a thing within the constraints of the game engine. (maybe to do a really incomplete half-arsed version with a fraction of the features, perhaps)
I know someone once came up with a bare-bones proof-of-concept campaign that demonstrated something resembling Freelancer; you could select which corporation you wanted to work for and switch between a few mission areas. With enough work and fiddling around, I feel like one would probably be able to craft something at least remotely resembling Freelancer, through the use of persistent variables and one heck of a complex campaign file. You'd probably need some sort of interface additions, or at least scripting, to give it a reasonable level of polish.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

I've been looking into this kind of thing myself. I must say, it is not as easy as it looks. Of course, it depends what angle you look at it and how exactly you're trying to construct it.

Me? Here's what I've done.

1. Created three mission templates of random "systems, each with a jump node. Third is the same as number one but with my craft of choice in the direction of exiting the node
2. Created triggers for the nodes that allows jump travel when within range and transferring to the next area.

So basically, in other words, here is how I had it laid out.

System A1, jump out, enter System B.
System B, jump out, enter system A2.

A1 is my start position and A2 is my re-entry from B.

There are many ways you could go about it. What would have made it more of an experiment is if there was a trigger to randomly create a ship of a specific or random type every now and again and have it doing something on its own.

The freelancer engine is very limited. if it were open source, it would be sooo awesome.
╔╦╦╪╦╦_
╚╩╬╪╝╞╧╩╪╦
Now what am I supposed to put here?