Ouch

I've never had this kind of problem before in any game.
I can start Freespace 2 normally on any mission. But after 2 minutes of playing, the frame rate (which was at 60) starts dropping alarmingly until the game is nearly unplayable. Dropping the visual quality will do no good.

What is happening?
My specs are not a problem, I have a Pentium IV 1.5ghz and a GeForce 440mx as a video card., plus 512 mb of ram.
Still, the setup detects a Direct3d card...

Not retail and I don't think overheating also, since it happens at anytime the pc is on. Curious enough, making a change in the video options will reset this problem (means fps goes back to 60 then drops again).

Sounds suspiciously like something is eating up memory, or some other exponentially growing thing. Something in there is looping and basically choking your computer, and it has to do with your video options sincewhen you reset them the problem goes away. Some kind of cache problem or calculation issue?
Erik McClure

That was my theory. I believe that the memory is eated by the graphics rendering, but individually lowering each aspect of details will not pinpoint the problem.
A curious thing is that the afterburner sound gets stuck forever until you exit the game.
Patching the game won't do it. Damn...

Sounds suspiciously like something is eating up memory, or some other exponentially growing thing. Something in there is looping and basically choking your computer, and it has to do with your video options sincewhen you reset them the problem goes away. Some kind of cache problem or calculation issue?
:lol: LoLs.

But yeah, what sound card do you have? :)
Grug
Returned Loveable SectorGame Addict

The Apocalypse Project | Machina Terra | Lost Souls | Starfox: Shadows of Lylat | Stargate SG1: Earth's Defense

Yup, I just get black boxes from it now, Direct3D support is being removed from FS2 altogether as I understand :)
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

The main reason for keeping it in, is that if it's removed, we have no reason to keep multiple graphics API support. If that's removed then it would be extremely difficult to add back later. But D3D is broken, Bob doesn't seem to want to fix it, and no one else cares. I'm constantly upgrading and improving the OpenGL code since it's all I get to use (being a Linux user). So, OpenGL gets all the love.

Other than rearranging the model animation code (which broke stuff shortly), Bob hasn't made any CVS commits in over a year (since March of 2005). It would be nice if he worked on more graphics code upgrades so that we could use him as an excuse to keep it, but unfortunately it's just not so. Right now I think the hope is that someone will step up and work on the D3D code. If no one does by the time the next official release comes around, then we'll probably remove it.

None of my CVS builds from this point forward will include D3D support until someone fixes it. Since, if you aren't going to use it anyways, why waste the resources and memory it needs to just sit there and do nothing. If that idea catches on with the other developers then D3D may just disappear into the abyss.