Actually it was for something else, but voice acting is voice acting, excluding the programming.
Rather than chase up after people who said they'd do it, I think a better way of doing it would just to post the lines required (with a link to a relevant recorder) and then wait for people to submit the .wav files, then (hopefully) you get a selection of files.
If that worked, hell would freeze over. I've worked with a LOT of communities, including a few large community projects, and the community has a bad habit of not doing anything EVER. in addition, the same people need the same voices, so random people can't just do 1 line, they have to take the whole bunch, which further discourages anyone from doing it.
If no one does it then it's a bit of a sad reflection on the community. Also I suppose if none of the recordings are professional enough then it reflects poorely on the programmer.
Quality of the recording has nothing to do with programming. Nada. Zilch. Zippo. Zero. Nothin. Its completely dependent on the recorder and the editor. If its a bad mic --> bad recording. An editor can fix up a recording somewhat, but generally if its bad, its bad, and who knows, the random person you met on the forum could live in Peru.
Erik McClure

Even better mission designers use the message start sound when dialogue appears, which gives you a nice heads-up.
Doing that prevents anyone from using voice synth so I'd say it's a sign of a selfish mission designer rather than a good one. What we should do is add an option to the speech tab that means that if you have no voice acting you can choose between the voice synth and the message beep.
Ah, I forgot about that issue. I've never used voice synths, so it wouldn't really bother me personally. Your solution is definitely the best one; is that feasible at the moment?

thagor, something like the project you mentioned was just completed for the classic campaign Derelict; I wound up doing quite a few briefings/debriefings myself. :) I'm always willing to lend my voice to one project or another; I can't FRED, I can't model, I can't code (yet), and I can't texture, so it's the least I can do to help out the community. I think VAing works best when you specifically assign parts to certain people; while it may take a little while, it definitely provides a lot of motivation for each person to get their part done, since they could potentially hold up the entire project. As far as quality goes, I know my own microphone is pretty poor, but fooling around a bit can usually produce decent sound from almost any mic. Everyone knows that volunteer VAers from the community won't exactly be up to professional standard, but most projects I've heard turn out pretty well overall.

P.S. I've always thought that those people in the community who are willing to do VAing should form some sort of semi-formal group. It would make it a lot easier for modders to find the help they need.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

If that worked, hell would freeze over. I've worked with a LOT of communities, including a few large community projects, and the community has a bad habit of not doing anything EVER. in addition, the same people need the same voices, so random people can't just do 1 line, they have to take the whole bunch, which further discourages anyone from doing it.
Tee-hee-hee, I naively expected everyone just to do a whole voice part, I had no idea that it would be that much of a pain! Shows how little I know about moding.
Quality of the recording has nothing to do with programming. Nada. Zilch. Zippo. Zero. Nothin. Its completely dependent on the recorder and the editor. If its a bad mic --> bad recording. An editor can fix up a recording somewhat, but generally if its bad, its bad, and who knows, the random person you met on the forum could live in Peru.
Yeah I see your point, but what I meant was that if the programmer has only poor files to choose from (because everyone is submitting their files from Perusian mics :wink: ) then he can't submit any files as to put a really bad recording on his campaign would be worse than having no voice at all.

Top Gun: That would seem to solve a lot of problems. I'm exactly like you (probably worse as I know nothing about programming etc.) and doing voice seems like a good way of contributing (would be willing to help out if needed).

The idea of some kind of community for voices sounds great and would mean that programmers would know exactly where to look for people.

Programmers: Would this be of great benifit to programmers? or is there already something like this already in existence?

Doing that prevents anyone from using voice synth
NO MAN! GEEZ!

EDIT: In case this is misinterpreted, it's a quote from somewhere that I thought sounded funny. :p Anyway that was fixed as soon as it was noticed (c.f. my reply on HLP). I stand by the assertion that good mission designers always include message beeps. ;)
Fortunes of War
Deus Ex Machina

VWBB Survivor: 12/01-7/04, 130 posts