I just started playing freespace 2 and want to try some of the new campaigns but i can't find out where the ships.tbl or weapons.tbl files in the data folder i've tried showing the hidden icons and i've tried entering the info into the root_fs2.vp file in the ships section there but this always results in the game not working at all

The tables aren't located outside of the VP files. You need to get a tool such as Descent Mananger Freespace Kit *VPView Module* to extract the Table files from the VP file into the data folder. If you try to replace the main VP it will corrupt the game. You can get VPView from our downloads section (sectorgame.com/f2s/tools.php) or alternatively from descent-network.com.

Note most of the latest campaigns (last six months) use their own VP files which only need to put into your main directory. Older campaigns use custom table files which you simply place in data/tables and then delete once you've finished.
The Expanse. Watch it!

I you need any help with anything vaguely Freespacey then a good place to start would be Karajorma's Freespce Help Guide. It has just about anything you need to know. Most decent campaigns will come with their own weapons and ship tables which you put in the tables file or a .vp which you dump straight into the root Freespace file. (default: C:/Games/Freespace2).

If you've just started to play be sure to check out these campaigns:

Derelict- Still widely regarded as the best user made campaign ever.
Inferno - One of the more recent campaigns. A huge download but well worth it.
The Babylon Project - Converting the Babylon 5 universe to Freespace (anybody know the website addy off hand?)
Black Water Operations - Not finished yet but be sure to check out the demo
Neo Terra Victorious - Another unfinished project but check out the demo
Freespace Port - the Freespace 1 game ported to Freespace 2!

I'm sure that I have missed a few but all of the above are all well worth a look.

~Shinobi

Edited By Shinobi on Dec. 19 2003 at 18:06
Twisted Infinities: FREDer, Voice Acting Coordinator, Self assumed PR guy, Yes man.

Pop quiz!

Does the "don't collide invisible" flag work in FS1?

Im off to find out... the first person to get it right (and if it turns out wrong) solves it, they get a cookie!