Freespace music and your own

I was wondering if anyone knew of some up to date links that could allow me to download the Freespace 1 music?

Also, a friend told me that he once was able to put his own music into the game, to replace the original files (such as playing Blur's Song Two) as the battle music. Anyone know how to do this since my friend doesn't remember?

Putting your own music in the game isn't that difficult a task. Check my FAQ for details on where to get VPView. Use it to extract the music.tbl file from root_FS2.vp and then basically point the game at a different wav file to the one in the table (if you're using a recent build of FS2_Open you can even use .ogg instead of .wav).

As for the FS1 music there should be some links at the bottom of the general section of the FAQ.

EDIT : Check the download section of Freespace Watch.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

And we like samples ;)

Strangely enough, it seems a lot of musically inclined Freespacers/Descenters hang out at SectorGame :D
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

I'm tempted to add an Arch Enemy track or two to ETF myself (the instrumentals Snowbound and Vox Stellarum would both be very fitting for a quiet space scene) but I doubt it'd be legally kosher to do so.

Guilty as charged :wink:

I made my own custom Descent 3 track with battle/ambient/death. And right now i i'm playing around with making a campaign called "Homesick 2 : I'm Baaack!". Any of you played the Homesick campaign? its freaking AWESOME! The thing is, that i have the most perfect idea for an ending, the problem? i'd have to make it a movie, then compress it into MVE, and then get the game to play the movie at the end of the last mission. I have no idea how i would record stuff in FS2, so i might actually be forced to resort to Gmax... *shudders*. BUT ITS SUCH A GOOD IDEA! *sob sob sob* (the song? Linkin park - Papercut, its damned PERFECT for credits....) Any suggestions?
Erik McClure

You wouldn't have to do anything of the kind unless you insist on using the retail version.
When it comes to Outro's you have a few choices. Both involve using FS2_Open though.

1. Use a renderer like Truespace, Lightwave or 3DS Max to make a cutscene. Save it as an avi. Add a new mission which just displays the credits as messages. Put the outro as a movie that plays just before that one.

2. Make a mission that shows what you want to happen, record it with FRAPS and then play it using a credits mission as above.

3. Make a mission in FRED and use the in-game cutscene SEXPs to take control from the player and use the game engine to show what happens.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

CRUD!!!!! I added a new music track, but, like half the other tracks from the original freespace 2 that i try to put in (i got the HOTU version, which didn't have the music, so i got the numbers, revalation, and joshua tracks, but sometimes FS2 doesn't like them and crashes while loading the mission. Same thing happened here). I dont think i modded the music tbl file correctly. Namely, i didn't get the "measures" and "samples per measure" data entries. Its gotta be possible, cuase inferno (AWESOME MOD!) managed to do it, without making my FS2 crash... i can even see *THEIR* table file entry. Can anyone help?
Erik McClure

hehehe Sometimes it takes us a day or two to answere round here BlackHole, but we will help in the end ;)
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos