Orions are expensive. Hell, all capital ships are expensive. Fighters are much, much cheaper, and far more common. In fact, most of the TV War engagements were probably almost entirely fighter based, perhaps for conrol of the space above a planet, or bomber assaults on installations or whatever. However, until after the end of the TV War, GTA fighters had to be carried from system to system Via larger ships. Now, the only ships we ever saw in FS1 capable of doing this were the Orion and the Typhon, but we are told that very few of these were ever destroyed. For all their power, we've all played FS1, and we've all seen that these things are not invulnerable, simply difficult to kill. Therefore, wouldn't you think that both the Terrans and Vasudans would be concentrating as hard as they could at destroying what is, as far as we know, their enemies only means of transporting fighters and bombers between systems? I mean, eliminate enemy fighters and bombers from a system, even for a short time, and you could decimate that system. More telling than that is the fact tha the tech room tells us that the Typhon was first introduced in 2333, two years before the Great War. The Vasudans must have had something transporting fighters and bombers between systems, mustn't they?

Ultimately, this post has no real point or project or whatever stemming from it I guess. Just something I was thinking about earlier today, and I wanted to see if anybody could find any faults in my logic. Comments?
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

Comment: Why did you post a new thread here then link to it from HLP, instead of just posting the same sentiments there?

Ah well, maybe it will increase awareness of Sectorgame. Hey visitors! Look at all the smilies we have!
:nono: :headbang: :dance: :smash: :concert: :poke: :worship: :valentine: :spammer:
Do you realize that there is nothing standing between the United States and world domination?!

Master of the Freespace Port to Freespace 2.

The Star Wars mod is now at HLP! Check it out!

I've been thinking about what the GTVA would do as a response to the Shivan incursion at Capella, my thoughts are like this :-

1 : It is obvious that sheer firepower is never going to defeat the Shivan Armada, humanity simply does not have access to those kind of resources or time.

2 : Our biggest advantages over the Shivans appear to be technological, we have the ability to perform surgical strikes with far more precision than the Shivans.

3 : That investing all your firepower into a single ship is NOT the way to go.

4 : That most victories have been won in both Wars not by the firepower of the Capital Ships, but very often they had already been won by the disabling/disarming of powerful enemy ships by small fighters carrying special weapons.

If this is the case, what steps would the GTVA take to ensure security, what kind of weapons would they be working on?
My own belief is that we will see a large uprising in smaller cruiser ships, with special weapons designed specifically to target Engines or Weapons, the goal will no longer become to destroy the Shivans, merely to render them powerless.
Larger ships would serve mainly as mounts for Beam Weapons to finish off the disabled foe when it was convenient.
I think that light Carriers would certainly be the way to go, regardless of whether this was what was used before, these ships could deliver lots of the Subsystem killing fighters to a location and Warp to a safe part of the system to wait for the ships :)

Flipside :D
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

Sorry. :stupid:

As for the carriers idea, I'm all for it. But I'm of the persuasion that carriers should be huge but very lightly armed and armored; nothing but hangar bays and maintenance facilities inside, as oposed to Inferno's idea that carriers should be super-ships able to take on any destroyer.

Carriers ought to stay in a safe location and deploy their complement on missions, avoiding combat themselves. If they're threatened they should use their fighters and bombers for defense. This strategy works well for the tactical combat of small craft armed with specialized weapons.

Speaking of which... I still have yet to see much made from my D-missile code... I think I'm gonna write up a special weapon for SA that uses it.
Do you realize that there is nothing standing between the United States and world domination?!

Master of the Freespace Port to Freespace 2.

The Star Wars mod is now at HLP! Check it out!

Speaking of which... I still have yet to see much made from my D-missile code... I think I'm gonna write up a special weapon for SA that uses it.
That's because we never really discuss much later TI stuff :) Act 3, Missions 1 - 5 will be fuuuuun :D

Anyway, I was thinking smaller carriers would be more common (I mean, if Orions were expensive...) but there's no real evidence either way...

Hey All Iam back !!!!! If anyone remembers me hehe
:brows:
I think that it would be Great to see some smaller CapShips like a Strike Carrier. Something with light armor and small guns with a compliment of around 4 to 5 squadrons and support ships.............Maybe I should Make one hehe :smoke:
BTW I love these Smiles :dance:
You Got to be Psycho to use TS

Hey! Welcome Back Dude!

(Kudos on the forum Ownage BTW)

That's exactly what I figured they'd've needed. Without some quick ways of getting fighters between systemns, there would have been major tactical issues, and light or strike carriers would have been the only way to prevent that.