Another campaign from MB!

Now let's see if I can actually finish this one! :P

Yes, HFH is dead. I felt its plot was too shaky and required too much backstory to understand. I left the ending too open for a fairly predictable sequel that I didn't really feel like doing. (I will, however, edit HFH-01 to be usable with fewer MODs than the full HFH package, and release that mission.)

Instead, I've decided to move my Side Project to the forefront, which I haven't publically named until now. Eagle Takes Flight.

Yes, I know. There was an FS1 campaign called that back in the day. In fact, the first three missions of my version are taken almost verbatim from the old one.

However, while the original was only four missions, this will be twenty-seven, with eight short in-engine cutscenes.

The date is June 24, 2336. Despite the successful retaking of the Capella and Vega systems, the GTA is starting to unravel amidst worries that it can no longer protect its citizens adequately. Prominent voices are beginning to demand increased autonomy, if not outright independence, and the shady Regulus Syndicate has already effectively bribed its way out of the GTA.

Even the central system of Antares is troubled by piracy and the ever-present shadow of the Hammer of Light. It's the perfect time and place for mercenaries to show their skill.

You are William Vargas, recently discharged from the GTA League of Defence due to budget cuts. With your friend Rocky Mankato, you have just enough money to start Eagle Security Services -- with only a converted drone, modified ML-16s, three sentry guns, and a rickety transport to your name.

Do you have the skill and the courage to build ESS up from nothing, and help save the Antares sector from destruction and chaos?

I only need two more ship models to bring the campaign to fruition (only one if I can finagle a certain summin out of Raa ;)). Twouldn't hurt to have extra FREDders, too. :)

It goes without saying that the first three missions are done, pending a few tweaks. I've got 22, 4, and Cutscene B in progress.
Last edited by Mad Bomber on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hang on a sec. Retaken Capella? From whom? The multi-thousand degree clouds of gas?
Check the year. He's talking post-FS1, not post-FS2.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

Capella was retaken in mid-2335 thanks to Operation Crucible, a behind-the-lines operation involving the GTD Intrepid. Because of the severe disruption of the Shivans' supply lines (as well as the destruction of two destroyers), the Shivan front lines in Deneb and Beta Aquilae collapsed, allowing the PVN and GTA to make a concerted push. Shivan forces in Vega were smashed.

However, Shivans still control Enif and the systems surrounding it (sans Capella), as well as Ikeya, Laramis, and part of Ross 128. The GTD Soyokaze and its battlegroup are bogged down in a fight in Ross 128, and Command is considering a pullback.

The 8th Fleet, based at the new colony in Luyten, was forced to fend for itself when the Shivans took Ross 128. Only the fact that the Shivans' attention was focused elsewhere allowed them and the colonists to survive.

When they finally learned that the GTA was still alive in May '35, they were furious at the fact that no one lifted a finger to help them, and so later that year they declared independence as the Luyten New Alliance. The GTA has, for the moment, declared that military measures are "unnecessary". Probably has something to do with that sizable Shivan pocket in Laramis. :p

However, the LNA was beaten to the punch by the Regulus Syndicate -- a collection of illegal businesses with a large amount of very dirty money to spend. With the help of a lot of mercenaries (among them Reuven's Ravagers, the Dread Hand Mercenaries, and Blood and Iron) the Syndicate routed the Shivans in Regulus using guerrilla warfare and stolen subspace tracking technology.

The Syndicate pretty much bought its independence from the GTA; few senators are completely immune to corruption. Besides which, the military commanders figured Regulus was too far out to try to protect.

I've done a LOT of thinking on this time period, as you can see. 8)
Last edited by Mad Bomber on Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Well if you think you've got a "large enough" product (something that's big enough to HAVE a website, rather than say a mini campaign), I could throw one together on the weekend.
The Expanse. Watch it!

Cool, that would be awesome :D

Any possibility of having a Tech Entries section? I could write up a little addition to the backstory (like you saw earlier in this thread, but more detailed) and stuff it in there each week or so, to pump up interest.

Okay. I now only require one model -- the PVC Ne'arin, a Vasudan cruiser designed to carry four fighters externally. (Or rather, 3 fighters and one bomber.) But I can do about 3/4 of the missions without it.

I've also upped the cutscene count to nine; the one I just added to the list is very short so it's still about the same amount of work.