Accounting for Bosch and ETAK, FS1 and the Shivans not going past Capella, it seems evident there was something specific about the capella system (specifically the space, subspace, star in capella) that made the shivans feel the need to blow it up.

What are your thoughts? Why do you think they did it? (And please, no "BeCaUsE tehY weRe Drunk 0ff BorsScH B33r aNd s0tn3d 0ff spac3 CraCkxz!!!!!11111oneoeoneoenlolololololoooloz"

There several possibilities as I see it - Number one is the creation of a nebula. Assuming the Shivans think long term, eventally Capella's going to turn into a nebula, and It's entirely posssible that Shivans need nebulae for some reason - they seemed fairly possesive of the one beyond Gamma Drac, though that could have been just your standard Shivan genocidal tendencies. Alternately, the short term advantage would be an incredibly volatile environment that would effectively block the GTVA from the Shivans - keep in mind that the Shivans probably know less about us than we know about them - between the destruction of the Lucifer and at least one Sathannas, we could seem like a fairly dangerous species. After all, they have no idea how many Collossi we might have had.

The other point of significance are the Shivan Juggs that warp out just before Nova - there are several possibilities here, the most borng being that they were just warping back to the node to escape the system, but there's a problem with that theory - note the very first mission of FS2 - Command was tracking the Bellisarius through subspace, an in system jump that was supposed to be instantaneous, but obviously wan't. Theoretically, the larger the ship, the slower it moves through in system subspace, and so the Juggs at 6 kms long probably wouldn't have made it out of the system.

My favourite theory is that the Shivans were using the node to produce a sort of subsoace wave effect that they could ride out to another part of the Galaxy - After all - 80 Saths would be a fairly significant task force in anybody's boom, especially if fully loaded with fighters and bombers.
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

But, as I have said before, the other GTVA systems could have been (physically) thousansd of LY from Capella, it is only the jump nodes that connect them. Indeed, Altair could be only a few LY from Epsilon Pegasi, but in jump node terms it is a very long way.

Could have been but aren't :) Capella is 42LY from Earth and that would put Sol, Alpha Centuri, Wolfe 359 and Barnards Star all within the 50LY range for certain. Other stars like Sirius and Luyten would also probably be within range too but I'd need a starmap to check. :)

As for the saths escaping the system I think they definately could have done it. It take 8.3 minutes for light to reach Earth from the sun so the node could be reasonably close to Capella and still give the saths time to jump away, recharge engines and then jump out of the system.
Do I think that is what they were doing? Probably not as it doesn't explain why some of the saths remained behind.

I also have another explaination for what the saths were doing but since it's a central point for my campaign I won't reveal it here :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

The 50 LY rule is for a standard supernova, which is made out of supermassive stars. I would have thought that a standard Spectral Type, such as Sol or Capella would create a far smaller explosion.
In the first Shivan Incursion, they targetted Earth and Vasuda prime in particular. It was only after they were defeated that they went for wholesale destruction, and din't bother about attacking individual planets.
I have my own theory on why this happened, but there are reasons why I am keeping it to myself. All I can really say is that just because all bees look similar, it doesn't mean are the same :)

Flipside.

Edited By Flipside on June 03 2003 at 18:17
Check out my music on my YouTube channel :

https://www.youtube.com/user/PRDibble/videos

Personally, I think the shockwave idea to kill the GTVA is kinda silly as it's sloppy, not very freespacey at all, against all of the shivans tactics (killing things outright and such) andwould be something I'd expect from a B-movie.

I mean, seriously, wouldn't that make the worst Freespace 3?

Sol Commander 50 years in the future: "Admiral! We're detecting something massive! Sensors show it is very bright and hot."
Admiral: " My god! it's the Capellan Supernova!"

Personally, I think the shockwave idea to kill the GTVA is kinda silly as it's sloppy, not very freespacey at all, against all of the shivans tactics (killing things outright and such) andwould be something I'd expect from a B-movie.

I mean, seriously, wouldn't that make the worst Freespace 3?

Sol Commander 50 years in the future: "Admiral! We're detecting something massive! Sensors show it is very bright and hot."
Admiral: " My god! it's the Capellan Supernova!"
Well the supernova wouldn't be quite that bad. What would happen would be an increase in the radiation levels and the slow stripping of the ozone layer over a few months.

Personally I think that makes a great backdrop for a campaign.

Of course the nice thing about the way FS2 ended is that we can say that the supernova is smaller that a normal suppernova because Capella wasn't ready to go supernova yet (or bigger for that matter because of the shivan interferance). So any mission designer making a mission set 50 years in the future can have an effect from the nova if they want it or completely ignore it if they don't.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

I believe that the Sathanas's (Sathani?), created a new (possibly temporally) jump node which allowed most of them to jump to *somewhere else*. To do this they need to blow up a star for some reason - possibly it's a by product of there method for creating a node.

Effectively this is what Petrack (Sp?) says in the last cutscene. Or course why the Shivans had to sacrifie some of their destroyers, corvette etc is probably just to make the last few missions interesting.
'Take what you want, and pay for it.' - Cairhien saying

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slicers fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

but then why did they just took Delta Serp?

i mean, everyone was away from that system already, so why continue fighting if you can just take what you need right there?

Well, maybe it's something to do with the ancients? Besides this subject has been beaten to death on so many boards now, I suppose the only 'real' answer is the one you choose to believe :)

Flipside

but then why did they just took Delta Serp?

i mean, everyone was away from that system already, so why continue fighting if you can just take what you need right there?

Maybe Delta Sep is the wrong type of star.
'Take what you want, and pay for it.' - Cairhien saying

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slicers fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Well, maybe it's something to do with the ancients? Besides this subject has been beaten to death on so many boards now, I suppose the only 'real' answer is the one you choose to believe :)

Flipside
"The Ancients are DEAD!!!!!11"

Ummm.... point of reference, something does not have to be alive to be relevant. The ancients were something to do with the knossos portal and the technology that led to the destruction of the Lucifer, and they would have still been just as dead then :) After all, as an athiest I can say Jesus is dead, but that doesn't mean his existence no longer influences the way people think.

Flipside.

Edited By Flipside on June 19 2003 at 00:40