Would you play Freespacer with your RP-er buddies or on IRC?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:48 pm You may select 1 option

Yes
Total votes: 3 (43%)
No
Total votes: 4 (57%)
Total votes: 7

Freespacer

I've just posted this on HLP before it went 404 so you may not have noticed it.

Freespacer is an RPG game in the classical sense (dice, pencil and paper) taking place in the Freepspace universe.

I used the SPECIAL system from Fallout PnP (Jack Mical) and some ideas from Fallout Unlimited (Atoga from Duck and Cover).
If there is a strong need or particular interest I may help with a d20-fication of the sytem in terms of stats, skills and dice rolls.

This system is classless at its hert so you can fully tailor your character to your image - though I do as much as possible to avoid powergaming and enforce true roleplaying.

The latest version is availible here:

http://geocities.com/flaser_01/freespacer.doc

Right now it is version 0.46.
I can finally see where this is going and have a sense that I can finish this. The whole backbone of the corebook (I decided to call version 1.0 that) is done.[/url]

Can't say I'm a fan of RPGs in any form, but you've obviously put a great deal of time and effort into this. Nicely done. :D
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens

We already have the card game... I've seen several people all start MUD's and stuff lately, and while some do, i don't have any liking of it...

Obviously you're not done yet, so it's not quite fair to say I don't like it.

...but I don't. Truth be told, I don't like most systems that show the influence of D20. Not really your fault.
It has very little to do with D20 - actually I just grabbed the most usefull and clever things from D20 like accepting average for a roll or rolling for sure - stuff that isn't really D20 specific, but makes the game less of a rolling contest and more streamlined to play.

BTW I plan to dump the levelling system - you'll buy % of skills as well as perks for xp, so a char. won't suddenly turn into a sharpshooting psychopath from a weak, and scared scientists.

I already added a list of specialized skills.

Instead my initial plan they will work exactly like normal skills, except they will be cheaper to purchase (in xp), and you will have to rely on skill synergy more.

I tend to simplfy things now, since no matter how realistic I plan the system it all boils down to comparing two values + a roll and adding useless and meaningless stuff to that makes it just cluttered and less playable.

Moreover I also support pure (less roling, more acting) roleplaying where you actually have to make your character faulty in some way if you want to excel somewhere else.