There's a noticable shortage of things like this, I think. Are you detail-boxing? I've never used detail boxing... should give it a try sometime, I think.

There's a noticable shortage of things like this, I think.
Agreed. Lots of warships, very little effort at making a believeable background, civilian universe. Which is something we're trying quite hard to create in Epsilon Pegasi for TI, hence the refinery.

And the model is set up for detail boxing, yeah, though the current pof doesn;t actually use it (but it also doesn't have any LODs or debris yet, so it's far from final).
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

I have to agree with you, Black Wolf. Very few modifications attempt or try to create a believable civilian universe. TI is the prehaps first mod in a long time to be doing this.
"And the model is set up for detail boxing, yeah, though the current pof doesn;t actually use it (but it also doesn't have any LODs or debris yet, so it's far from final)."
Well, it looks great so far, so keep at it!

There's a noticable shortage of things like this, I think.
Agreed. Lots of warships, very little effort at making a believeable background, civilian universe. Which is something we're trying quite hard to create in Epsilon Pegasi for TI, hence the refinery.
Too true; I always liked the idea of having missions in a campaign featuring some sort of unique 'prop' as much as possible - not 'just' nstallations, but also ancient wrecked ships or debris fields, unique asteroids, celestial phenomenom, bladerunner style adboards etc - but never had the time to implement it. It's always a catch-22 in that it's rarely if ever necessary, but takes as much time as anything else.
And the model is set up for detail boxing, yeah, though the current pof doesn;t actually use it (but it also doesn't have any LODs or debris yet, so it's far from final).
What's the polycount at the mo? It's hard to makeout detail in a neb, even if that's probably the point :D

(hell, what's the FS2 limit nowadays anyways? I've lost touch with it all)

What's the polycount at the mo? It's hard to makeout detail in a neb, even if that's probably the point :D

Polycount is 18856, and I can honestly say that obscuring the detail isn't the point of the neb. :p It's just that this thing only ever appears in a nebula in the campaign. If you want some standard renders I could probably do a couple.

As for the limits for FS2... well, they've essentially disappeared AFAIK - we've certainly had higher poly models than this in game, and I know that Diaspora and the FS upgrade have some that are even higher again. Textures are more the limiting factors these days.

Hell, if you want unique props like what Aldo's listed, look at SolCommand's models. You'd find much more than you might expect.

Will we be able to see more of TI-related material soonish, or see it in some form of playable format?

Polycount is 18856, and I can honestly say that obscuring the detail isn't the point of the neb. :p It's just that this thing only ever appears in a nebula in the campaign. If you want some standard renders I could probably do a couple.

As for the limits for FS2... well, they've essentially disappeared AFAIK - we've certainly had higher poly models than this in game, and I know that Diaspora and the FS upgrade have some that are even higher again. Textures are more the limiting factors these days.
I thought a certain polycount broke collision detection, no?

Problem with Sol Commands models is that many of them need to be textured, which, when you unwrap everything like I do - is what takes the time.

As for release, well, there are two critical models holding up Act 1, both of which have been modelled by VA and are awaiting texturing (he's held up on the Hades ATM). And then I still have to win the argument about releasing the campaign in acts rather than all at once. So there's no set date ATM, sadly.

I thought a certain polycount broke collision detection, no?
A high-enough combined polycount in a certain mission can really nerf your framerate, and I'm sure that a single ridiculously hi-poly model could make the engine choke, but the limits have definitely been expanded far beyond where they were even two years ago. From what I understand, the real limiting factor in terms of performance right now is collision detection, mainly because the code for it is apparently some Lovecraftian horror that no one in their right mind wants to enter.
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens