actually, im teaching myself C++ (slowly)... maybe, JUST MAYBE, i can like, be a freelance coder or something... i would love to add turret recoil
Got a couple of months free? Cause you'll probably have to re-write the whole turret code to do that. Anything to do with turrets is a huge nightmare.

alrighty, forget i said anything :)

could somebody point me to the lense flare thingeys?

[edit] actually, i do have months free :razz: but your right, something small...
and what do you mean by ship flag? you mean cruiser, freighter, bomber, etc?

If i had the time, and the means, i'd try to learn, even just to go around picking up on bug and stuff... But that's probably not going to happen...

Re: New "no-bank" SCP build for you guys

New bleeding edge build uploaded. :D
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/late ... er5000.rar

This includes the contrail threshold as well as a toggle-subsystem-scanning flag for when you want to scan subsystems on small ships or scan entire big ships. As an uberbonus, I think I worked out all the kinks in my new conditional sexps. I'll let you guys figure out how they work. ;)
Fortunes of War
Deus Ex Machina

VWBB Survivor: 12/01-7/04, 130 posts

Heh, this is fun ;)

Well, I could name a couple of requests that probably wouldn't involve magor rewrites, though one of them does involve delving into the dreaded targetting code :(

It doesn't take a leap of intellectual reasoning to realise that Islands are just rock-shaped installations. The problem is that, if you want to busy up the island, with anything other than turrets, then when you target the island you can cycle through 'subsystems' such as 'Tree1' or 'Bodged House' What I'd like to be able to do is set subsytems to 'no-target', so that the targetting computer will automatically skip over these in the list when cycling through subs. I can't see any way out of having to target the island in the first place, but this would be a great help, I think for more than TI :)

The second request is sort of the same as the first request, only with vulnerability. Once again, an Island is not something you want the player to 'blow up' as such, so you can either set it to invulnerable or give it rediculous hit-points. As far as I can find, there is no way of setting just the hull invulnerable and leaving subsystems vulnerable. This means that a turret with even 1% of hull takes an awful lot of firepower to down.

Though, admittedly, I haven't looked as hard for this one ;) It'd be really good if you could have a sexp like:

Set-Subsystem-vulnerable/Ship/Subsystem
Set-Subsystem-invulnerable/Ship/Subsystem

That way, you could either set the ship to invulnerable and then 'vulnerabilse' the parts you want, or just set the 'hull' subsystem to invulnerable and leave the rest, whose Hitpoints would be taken from the ships tabled hitpoints as normal :D

Anyway, I'mm off to play with the new build, thank again! :D

Re: New "no-bank" SCP build for you guys

This includes the contrail threshold as well as a toggle-subsystem-scanning flag for when you want to scan subsystems on small ships or scan entire big ships. As an uberbonus, I think I worked out all the kinks in my new conditional sexps. I'll let you guys figure out how they work. ;)
Firstly, I love you goober and I want to have your babies :D

On a more serious note I have questions :)

1. How does the toggle subsystem work? I tried setting it for an Aeolus cruiser but it wouldn't ungrey out the box in the ships editor so that I could add stuff to the various subsystems.

2. I'm playing about with the new conditionals but I'm having trouble figuring them out. I can't see what I should use to replace the argument. It appears that it's called twice. Once in the any-of SEXP and then again in the regular SEXP you're using.

For instance for this

when-arguement
-any-of
--Alpha2
--Beta2
--Gamma2
--is-destroyed-delay
--- <<<<What goes here? The ship names again?
-do-nothing

I tried leaving it as <Arguement> but FRED complains when it loads the mission back in after having changed it to <Null>

3. Random-of evaluates to true when one particular arguement from the list (chosen at random) is true where as number-of=1 evaluates to true when any of the arguements comes true. Am I right?

4. How does the invalidate-arguement SEXP work? I would expect it to be used as a replacement for do-nothing (i.e in the action section rather than the evaulation section) but it appears possible you can also use it in the evaluation section. How does that work or was it just an oversight?

5. Not trying to be a pain in the arse but any chance of a debug build of FRED2? It's been a while since we had one to clean our our tables :)

What I'd like to be able to do is set subsytems to 'no-target', so that the targetting computer will automatically skip over these in the list when cycling through subs.
The second request is sort of the same as the first request, only with vulnerability.
Those have both been requested before, and they're certainly possible. I'm not sure how much fiddling they'd require. They're not doable in an afternoon, but they're probably doable in a weekend. I'll take a look.
Firstly, I love you goober and I want to have your babies :D
:o *runs*
On a more serious note I have questions :)

1. How does the toggle subsystem work? I tried setting it for an Aeolus cruiser but it wouldn't ungrey out the box in the ships editor so that I could add stuff to the various subsystems.
Whoops. Knew I forgot something. I'll take a look.
2. I'm playing about with the new conditionals but I'm having trouble figuring them out. I can't see what I should use to replace the argument. It appears that it's called twice. Once in the any-of SEXP and then again in the regular SEXP you're using.
The any-of sexp supplies the possible arguments for the rest of the sexp, to replace <argument>. Make sure you spell it right. :)

Try this:
when-argument
--any-of
----Mine 01
----Mine 02
----Mine 03
----Mine 04
--<
----distance
------Alpha 1
------<argument>
--self-destruct
----<argument>
I tried leaving it as <Arguement> but FRED complains when it loads the mission back in after having changed it to <Null>
I noticed that too, and I can't figure out why the heck it's doing that. Change it to <argument> in the .fs2 file (via Notepad) until I figure out how to fix it.
3. Random-of evaluates to true when one particular arguement from the list (chosen at random) is true where as number-of=1 evaluates to true when any of the arguements comes true. Am I right?
Yup.
4. How does the invalidate-arguement SEXP work? I would expect it to be used as a replacement for do-nothing (i.e in the action section rather than the evaulation section) but it appears possible you can also use it in the evaluation section. How does that work or was it just an oversight?
It's used in the action section. I can't see where you'd use it in the other sections, and FRED shouldn't let you anyway. Can you elaborate? Basically what it does is remove the specified argument from consideration as part of the list, for instance if you're repeating the sexp.
5. Not trying to be a pain in the arse but any chance of a debug build of FRED2? It's been a while since we had one to clean our our tables :)
Bah. :p Last time I tried a debug build of FRED I ended up with a bunch of errors, but I'll try again.
Fortunes of War
Deus Ex Machina

VWBB Survivor: 12/01-7/04, 130 posts

Hmm...conditionals are unusual - they want strings, they wont accept variables, and you can't pick from a list of ship names. It could be immensely useful if it does what I think it does though...
Basically this

when-arguement
-any of
--x
--y
--z
-eg. ship-destroyed-delay
--<argument>

is the equivalent of this

when
-or
--is-destroyed-delay
---x
--is-destroyed-delay
---y
--is-destroyed-delay
---z

However you also have SEXP's that trigger when 2 of those ships are killed, when all of them are killed or when a randomly picked ship out of the 3 is killed.

In addition you don't have to use them just for ship names. From what I understand you can use them for any arguement in a SEXP. So you could have this.

every-time-arguement
-any-of
-<
--ship-hits
---Ship X
--<argument>
-Send Message
--Repeated warning

That Event will send out a (admittly repeatative) message every time a ship loses 25% of it's hull points. I'm sure there are more interesting things I can do with this that will come to mind as I play with it :) (I could have done the above using variables anyway :D )

BTW. I'm not ignoring Goober. We sorted out any further questions for the time being on IM :D