load time > triangulation calculation time.
Hardly noticable, but you seem to be missing the fact that in order to triangulate, the object must be loaded into memory, and then triangulated. The resulting size is the same in memory. Considering models are so small (even my highpoly sobek is 172kb), it really doesn't matter. Triangulation doesn't really take that long either, though if you do have non-planar polygons, auto-triangulation can cause a serious problem.

olokay... i didnt get much of that...

ill probably leave the model triangulated, but i have to untriangulate it first, to finish it. the turrets and some of the main body are not quite done yet. THEN ill triangulate it later, most likely.

BTW, im having a problem. im mkaing this model for a tanker-freighter ship, its a good idea and a decent model, but it just doesnt... 'fit'. it doesnt look like it belongs in FS2. more like homeworld, or something. if anyone has tips/ideas/sneak-methods of adding those little details that just make it cut it as an FS ship, pleez, PLEEZ tell me! :)

also, im too afraid to mess with lithunwrap. ill make the textures, but if someone else would apply them, id be grateful. :oops:

load time > triangulation calculation time.
Hardly noticable, but you seem to be missing the fact that in order to triangulate, the object must be loaded into memory, and then triangulated.
Didn't miss it. I even said that FS2 automatically triangulates the model. Of course that takes up the same amount of space in memory but I/O is always a bottleneck and if you can reduce it with no cost it's worth trying
Triangulation doesn't really take that long either, though if you do have non-planar polygons, auto-triangulation can cause a serious problem.
I'll give you that one. Never really had a problem with it though.

BTW, im having a problem. im mkaing this model for a tanker-freighter ship, its a good idea and a decent model, but it just doesnt... 'fit'. it doesnt look like it belongs in FS2. more like homeworld, or something. if anyone has tips/ideas/sneak-methods of adding those little details that just make it cut it as an FS ship, pleez, PLEEZ tell me! :)
You are far from alone. Tonnes of models come out that seem to lack that "freespacey" quality - there's really no defineable way that you can make it go one way or the other. Some models just work, others don't.

Post pics up in the FS forum - there might be some specific suggestions we can make.
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

Even if the model can't be made freespacy there are plenty of mods that aren't set in the Freespace universe that you could donate it to.If the ship is good someone will probably find a use for it :)

Or even donate it to another game. I can think of one that could definitely find a use for it:

VegaStrike, a free, open-source space sim project. It's a game to keep your eyes on as they continue to refine it and makes an interesting change of pace from FreeSpace and TIE Fighter stuff. More like Wing Commander Privateer (okay, a LOT like Privateer).

Here's the link: vegastrike.sourceforge.net

URL tags don't like this one for some reason, no idea why. Note: if you pick up the WIndows version, grab the patch. I know it says it's patched, but it's not. Trust me on this one.
"I like the funny sounds of parrots squawking,"
- Jimmy Buffet

ok... if you say so :D

BTW, i got the tanker looking a BIT more freespacey. thanks to some tips VA gave me, like most FS ships, especially freighters, tend to be rather long and boxy. ive also been just studying the models FS2 comes with. for example, cruisers (for terrans) tend to look rather bright and metallic. while destroyers are (huge) dark-colored things.
as for juggs, lets not go there :)

BTW, in TI, are we going to add a jugg for the poor vasudans? all they got is a hatshesput! and *whispers* what about the aesir? they need a good jugg!

how do you pronounce 'Aesir', anyways? :D

The Vasudan juggernaut is the Colossus, just like it is with the Terrans. Look at the designator, GTVA. That's both races, and they both contributed to the design and construction.

Still, you may have a point.
- Jimmy Buffet

i know, but i mean, look at it: its all terran architecture, the coloring mirrors vasudan *a bit*, and the captain is a terran. more than that, it was built in a terran spacedock. do you ever hear mention of many vasudan crewmen? the engines are terran effects. the beams are all terran beam cannons. plus, the tactics its geared for are NOT vasudan-make. they go for a quick, decisive thrust, and if that fails, a swarm. terrans go for brute strength overwhelming the opponent, as well as some diversity (thats y they have so many more ships than anyone else).
personally, i think the vasudans are being stepped on a *tiny* bit, but it balances out:
the vasudans know theyre a higher form of life than terrans (i say 'know', sry, im EXTREMELY cynical. i dont like the human race IN REAL LIFE.) so they dont mind the terrans trying to control everything. they are very patient and stuff, so they just dont mind :) WAY TO GO, VASUDANS!

i think a vasudan jugg would be more along the lines of a super-carrier than an actual warship.

They could use a real counterpart to the Myrmidon.

I happen like flying Taurets more than Herc IIs, since they're more heavily armed with a minimal sacrifice of defenses, and the best GTVA bomber in the game is the Sekhmet. Well-armed, relatively quick and maneuverable, this is what the Boanerges could have been.
- Jimmy Buffet

ya... like vasudans, but they cant stand up to the shivans :) and i think the aesir are going to be pretty fun too :| too bad im not on the team yet. but look out, every1! ive emailed my entry level to BW!!! :D :D :D

Actually, given some depth to work with, they probably could take the Shivans on. They just have the misfortune to get caught in the path of whatever heavy units the Shivans decide they want to abuse us with at the time. It's a combination of bad luck and the Vasudan desire to explore putting them in harm's way.
- Jimmy Buffet

ah, A-seer.. thats what i thought, thx BW :)

and who are you talking about there? in that last post? :? is that the aesir? or that vasudans? cant tell. i do notice that the vasudans do seem to be a bit suicidal, though... i mena, they really dont use escape pods, do they?

I think that's less suicidal thatn it is a strong, deeply-rooted code of honor....

*beat*

...That has a distressingly dangerous and life-threatening section regarding how to react to Shivans.
- Jimmy Buffet