Coronavirus exposes the 'infinite game' of modern business

Given the current collapse of the tourist industry, airline industry and several other sectors due to coronavirus, it has got me thinking about this guy named Simon Sinek I met a few years ago who talks about the 'infinite game' in business. It seems none of these industries have really done any longterm planning or preparation for a situation such as this. Airlines are asking for money from governments. The tourist industry is all but dead in the water. What, because of a rainy day? Have none of them expected natural disasters, virus outbreaks, world war, etc? Nope. Because they were playing the infinite game of 'make money make money make money' without any particular meaning or purpose and screw the longterm planning.

I'd like to write more thoughts on this at some point, right now I'm just vomiting some words so I can come back to this later. If you aren't familiar with the infinite game, here is a good summary:

The Expanse. Watch it!

Re: Coronavirus exposes the 'infinite game' of modern business

I'll watch this during a lunch when I'm feeling a bit optimistic :p

Now I'll add to the vomit! :-({|=

It seems none of these industries have really done any longterm planning or preparation for a situation such as this.
As of late I've been studying a qualification in computer networking and my lecturer drills home the fact that businesses of any scale should have redundancy, redundancy and redundancy! - whether it be in power, storage, networking or hardware supplies. Do I dare quote Trek. I swear the systems on board have multiple redundancies and even if those fail they have ways to re-route s###. A good example is backups, how many would have external backups, offsite, cloud and how far back, ..and how quick could they implement these. I wouldn't say many. They teach this but I don't ever see it in practice. I know I'm speaking about technology from this standpoint but there's redundancies in many topics and yet no one actually implements even some of these to any great lengths. Cost is always an issue but I feel share holders and CEOs have far too much importance in our time. Will business learn from this - probably not. Capitalism is not robust and far from it.

Airlines are asking for money from governments.
In oz they offered the airline industry a 715m rescue :roll: deal. I haven't read any details what this includes, but then soon after Qantas stood down 2/3 (20,000) of it's workforce - I don't know if this is temporary or not. Any money the government does provide in assistance to business should be - but is most likely not - to workers 'only' NOT:
  • CEOs
  • Shareholders
  • Aircraft Maintenance
  • etc
And any money that is given should be fully transparent so the people see where it's all going!

Have none of them expected natural disasters, virus outbreaks, world war, etc? Nope. Because they were playing the infinite game of 'make money make money make money' without any particular meaning or purpose and screw the longterm planning.
You can plan quite well for 'some' of those things, war is bad most ways you look at it. Where as most other things you can get insurance for and just be prepared for 'x' amount of time.

The real problem with Capitalism - if your business isn't generating a + in the books every year on that year your doing it wrong!