Announcing Basewars Redux! Last year after finishing up on Silent Fury I decided to take another look at Basewars and thought it might be cool to make a new version of the level, designed specifically for single-player and multiplayer co-op. The original level was actually intended for teams mutliplayer (it has a red and blue base) but it was quite hard to get a full house. Although a few LAN games made use of Basewars as it was intended, it was rare to get full teams online. It ended up being more popular as a kind of 'co-op' level since it does have a lot of things to explore and destroy.
Well this 'redux' version of the level is something of a side project. At the core, the level is mostly the same but with some key differences on top:
* There is now only one player base - the other base has been replaced with an AI controlled team that will launch attacks on yours.
* The enemy units are procedurally generated and gradually get tougher as the level continues. This is a unique kind of scripting originally developed for an abandoned mod called 'Ground Control'.
* I've added a resource system that is used for the management of your base. You can collect resources by destroying certain enemies.
* You can launch defense units, which are basically friendly AI pilots that will defend your base while you're away.
* Using the resource system, you can use many more sentries than in the original Basewars
* A reinforcement team has been added which you can call when attacking the enemy base.
* A bonus objective unlocks additional reinforcements
The level comes with two difficulty modes which differ slightly depending on your play style. Trainee, Rookie and Hotshot are the standard mode which has a smaller enemy team, and attacks will be less frequent. This mode is more suitable if you want to explore the level. Ace and Insane are 'Hard Mode' which is self explanatory. Ofcourse D3 naturally adjusts the hitpoints and AI, but the mod itself also makes changes accordingly.
Redux is not an expanded version of Basewars (nor will there ever be one), it makes use of the original assets and just offers a different kind of gameplay from the original. This is not a big project, it's fairly small on the surface (which is why I never posted about it here before) - though the new scripting is quite extensive. I've also fixed a few bugs from the original level, re-balanced the weapons and enemies a little bit to match up with Silent Fury and be more suitable to single player. The music has also been extended to include 7 full length tracks. This version of the level does support Co-Op, but it's not entirely reliable.
The included readme file explains the new features in more detail including setup details.
If you liked the original Basewars, you may like this too. I'll release a video showing how everything works soon.
This may not be the final release version - The level has been tested a lot (Scyphi helped a bit there) but it's possible I've overlooked something.
Download here: https://sectorgame.com/d3/downloads/?na ... y&file=878
Any questions just let me know