FS2 borked

Ok, so I was playing FS2... got to the part where I had to protect the Iceni through the asteroid field. However, I then decided to install the SCP. After getting help from Grimloq to install the SCP and get the launcher configured and working, I tried FS2 again. My campaign progress had been reset.

No biggie, I wouldn't mind playing this through again with enhanced graphics. However, now, I CAN'T JUMP TO SUBSPACE! When I hit alt-J, I get a message that says "Engine failure. Jump aborted" or something like that. I tried turning options on and off, and messing around, and I still can't get it to work, after beating the mission like 5 times--up to the point, of course, where you have to jump out of the level. This is getting really, REALLY annoying. Anyone know how to fix this?
D3 3D Developer

That is a bug that has since been fixed. Get one of the newer builds off the HLP forums. I don't know why they won't replace the EXE in the 3.6 zip/installer. This happens a lot.
My first Armageddon has died.

2005.11.25 06:22:57 combat Your Tachyon Beam Laser I perfectly strikes Ruined Stargate, wrecking for
733.8 damage.

ther IS a way to avoid the bug, but i dont know exactly what it is. I use 3.6, and i get no problems.

i have 'shift - alt - -' (shift-alt-dash) for my jumpout sequence.

That is a bug that has since been fixed. Get one of the newer builds off the HLP forums. I don't know why they won't replace the EXE in the 3.6 zip/installer. This happens a lot.
We *did* replace the EXE. Just download it again.
ther IS a way to avoid the bug, but i dont know exactly what it is. I use 3.6, and i get no problems.
Don't play it on Very Easy and you won't get any problems. :p
Fortunes of War
Deus Ex Machina

VWBB Survivor: 12/01-7/04, 130 posts

I always play on Very Easy, my skillz as a pilot don't allow me to do otherwise. :D
My first Armageddon has died.

2005.11.25 06:22:57 combat Your Tachyon Beam Laser I perfectly strikes Ruined Stargate, wrecking for
733.8 damage.

Ok, problem solved. Using goober's version of the .exe, FS2 now lets me jump to subspace. However, I ran into another problem--when I get near the asteroid containing the NTF ship (at about a distance of 1050) FS2 locked up and wouldn't let go. Control-alt-delete, nothing. Alt-tab, nothing. I had to do a hard reboot. After the second or third round of this, I gave up. Grim showed me the new media VP yesterday, and I installed it, and that (somewhat) fixed the problem. However, the game now does the same thing when the asteroid breaks apart to reveal the ship. It freezes, taking my comp down with it.

I messed with the features I had turned on, and turned off 32 bit textures (the game seems to lag tremendously whenever I turn to face a sun or large ship when 32 bit textures are turned on). Now, when I launched the game, it took my system down within 5 seconds of starting the mission. I turned 32 bit textures back on, got through the mission to the point of visiting the asteroid ship again, ignoring the horrific framerates, and was dogfighting some lokis when the game died again, presumably because the asteroid broke apart. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE? :P It's getting annoying, and I'm feeling less and less favorably inclined to FS2 because of all the apparent bugs, despite the incredible graphics. If I can't play long enough to see them, what's the point? Anyway, does anyone have any fixes?
D3 3D Developer

Rather strange that the -pcx32 flag had any effect on this.

Remove all the media.vp files and try this again (Just put them in a subfolder somewhere).

In fact the only .vp files you should have in the freespace2 folder for this test are

# root_fs2.vp
# sparky_fs2.vp
# sparky_hi_fs2.vp
# stu_fs2.vp
# tango1_fs2.vp
# tango2_fs2.vp
# tango3_fs2.vp
# smarty_fs2.vp
# warble_fs2.vp

Try it with FS2_Open and those VP files only.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

i was talking to him the other day.

stryk had all the different 'segments' of the old media VP, as well as the newest one.

so, hes deleted all the old media VPs, and now it still doesnt work, except he can get to the second nebula mission before it goes 'BORK'.
oh, and if it makes any difference, stryker doesnt have VPveiw, so he cant extract the files to his data dir (which is what i did, and FS2 worked like a charm). everything is in the VP file.

If extracting everything to the Data folder cures problems it generally indicates that you have something lying around that shouldn't have been there and than once you did the extraction it got replaced/overridden.

If you can't find the rogue file backing up everything and a reinstall should cure the problem.

As I said though try it with no other VP files . For good measure make a new data folder and rename the old one too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

If extracting everything to the Data folder cures problems it generally indicates that you have something lying around that shouldn't have been there and than once you did the extraction it got replaced/overridden.
well, i wasnt actually having problems, its just sometimes the VP seemed to get loaded funny, like AB trails would show up SOMETIMES, but not always. after i just shoved everything (except tables, cuz they were funny) into the data folder, it worked fine.

generally, i use the data folders over the VP files for media VPs. MODs i leave, though.