Make sure you have the shine map vp in your FS2 directory. Make sure you've checked -spec in the launcher checkboxes. If that doesn't work, are you using a Radeon card? There are issues there - try going back to Catalyst 4.3 (or any pre 4.4 driver set).
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

dump them all(the new hi-res base textures, the glow maps and the shine maps) into the folder at c:\freespace2\data\maps(where c: is the drive you have freespace installed to)

That goes for the other newer content also, new ship models go into data\models, hud art into data\hud, ect. Freespace is good like that.

Personally I think it would be better for each ship to have it's own folder though:

-c:\freespace2
----ships
-------|
--------shipname
-----------|
------------model
------------texture maps
-----------------|
------------------base
------------------glow
------------------specular
------------table data
------------HUD art

It's neater and keeps the various data folders from becoming the cluttered hard to navigate thing that it is right now.

But, I'm a no account hack who doesn't know much so my suggestions aren't worth the bandwidth to read them.
My first Armageddon has died.

2005.11.25 06:22:57 combat Your Tachyon Beam Laser I perfectly strikes Ruined Stargate, wrecking for
733.8 damage.

Personally I think it would be better for each ship to have it's own folder though:
There's no real reason you can't make a vp file for each new ship you add to the game (especially now that we have modular tables thanks to WMCoolmon). It wouldn't work for the standard FS2 ships though since they share a lot of textures and doing things that way is just begging for a VP to go missing and break other ships.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

[Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [Mind Games]

Also, the -mod command come in handy with the new maps of lightys, the vps I think, place them in a folder called bleh inside the fs2 folder then run fs2_open -mod bleh

true but it is also easy, although space consuming, copy them to all the mod folders. This makes it possible to turn stuff on and off. Although most of the command line stuff will take care of most of it with the exception of hi quality anis from lighty as well as the high poly ships

true but it is also easy, although space consuming, copy them to all the mod folders. This makes it possible to turn stuff on and off. Although most of the command line stuff will take care of most of it with the exception of hi quality anis from lighty as well as the high poly ships
I want them in everything so it doesn't bother me. Also putting them in a VP file means that they are of lower priority than anything in moddir.

If you want to be able to turn them on and off though why not just copy them to a folder called shine and just simply add -mod moddir, shine to your command line instead?

Not that way you can't.

Do it the way I described and it will work. Multi mod has been implemented for about 3-4 months now but apart from Kazan who implemented it I seem to be the only person who knows about it.

The launcher really needs to be updated to take advantage of this as it comes in very useful for playing stuff like Sol - A history or any of the mods based on TBP.

I cna never get the "Select Mod" option to do anything. What sort of files does it look for ? It shows the FS folders but won't open any as such.

You need to just select the folder you want itself...

For example, say, I want to play Inferno on my system, where I keep my mods in a special folder, i.e., FS2\Mods. I would select c:\Games\FS2\Mods\Inferno

That's it. You just point it to the right directory.
"I like the funny sounds of parrots squawking,"
- Jimmy Buffet

I cna never get the "Select Mod" option to do anything. What sort of files does it look for ? It shows the FS folders but won't open any as such.
All of the vp-s or files (mimicking the same folder hierarchy as in the game folder) used by the mod should go into a separate folder with a name you want to assign to the mod.

Select Mod will then load all the suff from that folder with priority over stuff in the main game folder.

However to use multimod, you have to enter it as a commandline parameter:

mod name1, name2, ...

ect.

Multi-mod?! Whoa, where did that come from? That's incredibly useful, especially if you're playing a new campaign with just a few ship mods and want to use all of the graphical enhancements of the main .vp files. How exactly does this multi-mod flag work? Is there a way to specify which mod folder takes precedence over the other, i.e. in the same way that files in the data/whatever directories take precedence over .vp files?
A.K.A. Mongoose, for you HLP denizens