Re: Happy Birthday Hunty!

We applied for a visitor visa once before, about 2 years ago. It was denied on grounds that they had reasonable doubt about her intent to visit bla bla and would likely seek refuge to public funds etc bla bla. And we had a pretty good amount of documentation, too (bank statements, certificates, letters etc). But to be fair she was on a visitor visa at the time. This time around our chances are better as she's on a graduate visa - and thanks to their lovely rejection letter we have a better idea about what is required.

I've really grown to despise some aspects about home while living out here...
The Expanse. Watch it!

We applied for a visitor visa once before, about 2 years ago. It was denied on grounds that they had reasonable doubt about her intent to visit bla bla and would likely seek refuge to public funds etc bla bla. And we had a pretty good amount of documentation, too (bank statements, certificates, letters etc). But to be fair she was on a visitor visa at the time. This time around our chances are better as she's on a graduate visa - and thanks to their lovely rejection letter we have a better idea about what is required.

I've really grown to despise some aspects about home while living out here...
The UKBA are utterly inhumane, racist, xenophobic, arseholes. Even the few decent human individuals working there are slowly crushed under a weight of bureaucracy formed with the sole point of finding reasons to keep out foreigners.

There's stuff I don't post on the internet because it involves the privacy of one (or more) other persons, but... man, the stories I could tell you about how those cunts treated us. I think you just have to take the approach of remembering that if you get involved with a foreigner, the UKBA views you as a traitor.

Even in todays news - http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... l-zimbabwe - three grandparents from Zimbabwe denied visas to attend their 5-year old granddaughters funeral.

To be honest there are things I've learned about the UK in it's entirety that left a bitter taste in my mouth. It's not just the UKBA, the UK government is just terrible. The lies, the distortion of truth, the manipulation of facts, the opressesion of minorities and orientations, the censorship and spying! It just never ends and hard to believe it actually goes on. If I ever retire it will be to somewhere else in Europe...
The Expanse. Watch it!

To be honest there are things I've learned about the UK in it's entirety that left a bitter taste in my mouth. It's not just the UKBA, the UK government is just terrible. The lies, the distortion of truth, the manipulation of facts, the opressesion of minorities and orientations, the censorship and spying! It just never ends and hard to believe it actually goes on. If I ever retire it will be to somewhere else in Europe...
Well, I'm not arguing with any of that.

My preferred option has always been either to move to the NE US or to stay and retire within an independent Scotland - although the latter might take another decade or two longer than I hoped.

Would an independent Scotland really be any better, though? Sometimes I feel like it's just one of those 'I don't want to live on this planet anymore!' moments.
Well, the social attitude surveys show a markedly different culture and viewpoint to that of England (Wales I'm not sure of, and N.Ireland is probably a bit nuttier).

You just have to look at the voting demographics, even before the SNPs recent surge in popularity - Scotland has always been a bit more left-wing, a bit more pro-EU during my lifetime. Not necessarily more pro-immigration, but more inclined to trust the (Scottish) governments judgement on allowing immigration (which is an interesting finding).

Better? It's hard to say, politics being politics. I've not had any major complaints with the SNPs policies so far, at least - they've been far more orientated towards the social good (suspending the bedroom tax, opposing NHS privatization, free university, free prescriptions, etc) than Labour or the ConLibs. That's even considering that the SNP are really a centrist party, not Left-wing (just left compared to Labour).

Different? Definitely. Plus there's not a snowballs chance in hell of UKIP / BNP Lite picking up seats here, which surely counts as a massive plus.