Hiya all, I gots a bit of a problem. I use a joystick to play D3, but now the joystick isn't working anymore. Because of that, I can't play the game. Yes, I know you can play with the mouse and keyboard too, but I HAVE to use the joystick for certain reasons beyond my control.....

Basically, the computer won't recognize the joystick's existance. This happened after my brother unplugged it from the port to clean it. After he put it back on, the comp won't talk to the joystick. Or maybe vise-versa. I dunno. I have been told that the comp needs to be programed to recognize the joystick again... or.. something. I dunno, I'm just pissed. I use D3 as a stress-reliever (what better thing to do than blow stuff up and curse at your enemies??) but I can't play it anymore until the joystick and/or computer are fixed..... Needless to say, I've needed to play D3 REEEEEEEAAALLY bad lately..... :angry:

Can you guys please help? :duh:
"When one is expecting booby traps.... always send a boob in first."
-- Megatron from Beast Wars: Transformers

"Don't make me take this fusion cannon off and beat you with it!"
-- G1 Megatron, probly drunk

"I think my Guidebot is lost..."
--[RIP]d3jake

Well first identify your joystick make and model, then find the appropiate driver CD. Depending on your operating system most joysticks automatically detect, but you might need to reinstall the driver. Is it Serial or USB and what OS? If you can't find anything else, well try going into the BIOS (Usually at startup, just keep pressing F1 or DEL - Or whatever your BIOS key is). It should say something like "Press XX to enter setup". What you need to look for there is a Plug & Play options, or Ports. Check to see if your Serial and/or USB port is functioning (IE Is it Enabled). Don't touch anything else.
The Expanse. Watch it!

What's a driver CD? Is that a CD with the right program on it that'll talk to the computer and the joystick and'll make 'em recognize each other?

And what does BIOS stand for? I'm betting the OS means Operating System.... Luckily I hope that means I'm not TOTALLY computer illiterate.... :duh:
"When one is expecting booby traps.... always send a boob in first."
-- Megatron from Beast Wars: Transformers

"Don't make me take this fusion cannon off and beat you with it!"
-- G1 Megatron, probly drunk

"I think my Guidebot is lost..."
--[RIP]d3jake

Yes, what Operating System? Windows XP?

BIOS is basically the program that runs inside a chip on your Motherboard. It's the first thing activated when you start your computer and is vital for it's operation. Even the slighest corruption to a BIOS can be fatal for a Motherboard, as a fried BIOS chip is pretty much a no-hoper.

But, what you need is a driver CD. Try and find the Make/Model of the joystick, and then search on Google for drivers for that particular product. Helps looking for a CD.

Edited By Hunter on April 23 2004 at 23:45
The Expanse. Watch it!

Well, not all joysticks HAVE drivers... My Thrustmaster Top Gun 2 Pro (a good 45 years old) had the driver built in... Its USB, so i'd assume that when the Plug and Play manager tries to detect it, the Joystick installs itself... I'd guess this is only for USB sticks...

Under Start, Settings, Control panel, gaming options, it should tell you the status of the stick... if not, well... call the tech support number on the product website, never let your brother do that again :p (j/k) or get a new one...

Yes, but they might not be on an external storage source... Like I said, mine was built in, and installed as soon as the joystick was plugged in...