dang, goober... we dont deserve you :)

<_<

>_>

ok, we do deserve you :razz:

and BTW, to goober and anyone else who codes around here: how hard is it to go about making a new ship 'class', like freighter or destroyer, or whatever? if its not *too* difficult, i have a new class id like to implement, but it would take some weird AI stuff, so i fear that it may be impossible with my limited knowledge of anything.

However you also have SEXP's that trigger when 2 of those ships are killed, when all of them are killed or when a randomly picked ship out of the 3 is killed.
Well now... that's ...friggen awesome is what that is :D

Hippo - you can only think of a few uses? First no variables, now this? You either need to FRED more, or less.
TI - Coming in 2011 - Promise!
:flag9:
"Everyone has to wear clothes, and if you don't, you get arrested!" - Mr. T

Hey Goob:

Since you seem to be in a sexp addition mood (probably related to HLP's "technical difficulties"), I'd like to add in my 2 cents for changes. You've heard these from me before, but I thought I'd bring them back to your attention. Firstly, could you alter the kamakazi sexps to influence wings as well as specific ships? For example, Pisces wing has 4 waves. At some point, you want all remaining Pisces fighters to go kamakazi against a certain target. However, you don't know which wave will be present at the time and FS2 won't let you reference a ship that doesn't exist on the grid. If you could give the entire wing the Kamakazi signal, then you could perform said situation.

Secondly, this is quite an old request, but could you create a change-alt-name sexp, so you could change a ship's class designation mid-mission? Kinda like, "Hey, that's no Cain, its a Lilith!"

Thirdly, could you uprade the set-support-ship sexp to cover multi-species support ships? This has in no way to do with Kazan's multi-species stuff. I spent at least a page worth on HLP arguing with Kara (I think) about precisely where I saw the shortcoming in this sexp. Basically, you can only set one support ship at any one time. If you set it as the Centaur, both friendly Terran and friendly Vasudan forces will call for the Centaur, when a Vasudan request (if no other support ships are in the game area) should call in the Scarab. I've tried adding 2 instances of the sexp, but one is always cancelled out. I'd request that the a line be added to the sexp that specifies which species a support ship is assigned to. Obviously, any friendly support ship, whether Terran or Vasudan, would rearm a ship from either side, I'm just focusing on which would jump in when a ship calls in a ream, and from which species it would be summoned (when no support ship is present in the game area).

While I'm at it, thanks Goob for these new argument additions. Most of it is over my head at this point, but I based on your example with the mines, I think I already have a use for this one, which should help to cut down the number of sexp in a certain mission.

Also, I noticed in the mission specs, a box labelled "3-D Warp" is present. IIRC, there used to be a "2-D Warp" box there. Does this mean that new builds of FS2 use the old 2D Warp by default? Could this explain the anomalies I've been getting in warp effects since using Taylor's newer build? If so, is there a launcher flag to have 3D enabled all the time?

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Since you seem to be in a sexp addition mood (probably related to HLP's "technical difficulties")
More like rampant procrastiation (athough not having to put up with the SCP n00bs does help).
Firstly, could you alter the kamakazi sexps to influence wings as well as specific ships?
Done.
Secondly, this is quite an old request, but could you create a change-alt-name sexp, so you could change a ship's class designation mid-mission?
Done.
Thirdly, could you uprade the set-support-ship sexp to cover multi-species support ships?
Not right now. That's a bit more involved. And I'm backed up on homework now as it is. :o
Also, I noticed in the mission specs, a box labelled "3-D Warp" is present. IIRC, there used to be a "2-D Warp" box there. Does this mean that new builds of FS2 use the old 2D Warp by default?
Yes. This is part of our effort to ensure that FSO behaves exactly like FS2 by default.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a ton of homework I need to go catch up on... :p
Fortunes of War
Deus Ex Machina

VWBB Survivor: 12/01-7/04, 130 posts

However you also have SEXP's that trigger when 2 of those ships are killed, when all of them are killed or when a randomly picked ship out of the 3 is killed.
Well now... that's ...friggen awesome is what that is :D
Yep. I've been playing about with FRED last night and I'm absolutely loving these new SEXPs :D

Goober : Since people are handing out requests here's a (hopefully quick to implement) idea.

At the moment FRED has a disable built-in messages option in the mission specs options. Would it be posible to spin out some SEXP's to have a similar effect?

I see it working like this

Radio-Silence-Start
-Ship or wing (optional)

Radio-Silence-End
-Ship or wing (optional)

Basically with no option given it acts just like the mission flag. Spinning out flags into SEXPs hasn't seemed too hard so hopefully even if the rest of this suggestion is tricky at least this bit might be possible.

Giving an arguement is where things get trickier (and probably harder). If you give one only that ship or wing shuts up. This would be very useful for missions where the player is out of contact with command but still has wingmen the FREDder wants to be able to chatter as normal (For instance Lions Den). The converse would be used less often but I have had occassions where I'd like the other ships to shut up but still like to get warnings from command.

Doing it as four SEXP's might be easier for FREDders now that I think about it.

Radio-Silence-Command-Start & Radio-Silence-Command-End. No options for either.

Radio-Silence-Ship-Start & Radio-Silence-Ship-End take one or more ships as an option (or if that's impossible simply silence all fighters but leave command able to talk).

Okay. Finally managed to download the new version but none of the conditional SEXPs are working now as far as I can see. As soon as you close the events window FRED crashes.

When I loaded a mission I made previously the mission loaded fine and looked correct in the events editor but as soon as I tried to save it FRED crashed.

I'll have to go back to the earlier build for a little bit.

As for the Debug build it just crashes on me after giving me multiple assertion errors. Oh well. It was worth a try :D

*long sigh*

actually, (this may go int othe AI code, but i doubt it...) could there be an 'orders' choice (or a sexp, doesnt matter) for concentrate-fire or someting? so that as much firepower as possile will go to the designated ship, but it will fire normally on anything else it chooses? unless FS2 already does that by itself... :idea: